POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:10:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Feb 2008 06:45:33
Message: <47a99ddd@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> As far as music goes, most cars come with an AM radio. With mechanical
>> tuning buttons.
>
> I have not seen a car with mechanical tuning buttons for ages.  Even my
> sisters 12 year old Clio has a radio with electronic buttons.  My first
> car, which must be 20 years old now if it was still alive, had manual

My first car [which cost me several hundred pounds] as an ancient Ford
Siesta. The clock had been back to zero twice. Changing gear required
using your right foot to force the gear to enguage. The brakes... well I
*think* they were hydrolic, just very unresponsive. (!)

Similar things can be said about just above every car my family has ever
owned. They're all old wrecks. What can I say? Cars are expensive.

>> (You know, "radio buttons"?) If you're lucky they have FM as well.
>
> Find me a car radio that doesn't do FM.

They were common when I was a child. I would think now there can't be
*that* many of them left. (I hope...?)

> Dude, you are decades out of date.

No, all the cars I've come across are decades old. ;-)

Sure, *new* cars probably do have a whole load of good stuff in them.
But who can afford to buy cars new? That's why the second-hand car
market exists...

>> Sure, I know there are absurdly rich people who can afford expensive
>> shiny cars that have all sorts of electronic gizmos in them. But
>> seriously, normal people don't have that kind of money...
>
> The other day I was given a small Ford while mine was being serviced -
> even that had a 3,5mm input socket for an MP3 player - plus an SD card
> slot at the side of the radio (which had a small colour screen and CD).
> These are not expensive cars, these are cars that normal people buy.
> Can you even buy a car with a tape deck anymore?

Well I imagine they give you nice cars while yours is being serviced.
That way they can say "hey, that car was nice, wasn't it? Would you like
to buy one, sir?" ;-)

I hired a car once - I forget why - and it didn't have an ignition key.
Go figure. (Was really horrible to drive though... I think it was an
Astra? Might be wrong.)

I very much doubt many people can afford to buy one of these things new
though...

> Try glancing inside some parked cars as you are walking around, you'll
> be suprised how many of them have electronic tuning with FM and CD
> players :-)

Or rather, how many people are richer than me?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/